The Cost Of Environmental Neglect
By Reject Apathy
May 10, 2011
"Creation Care" isn't limited only to our environment. The effects of environmental damage are vast and far-reaching, touching everything from disaster recover to under-5 deaths.
- UNDER-5 DEATHS:
Deforestation and poor water management are said to contribute to the spread of malaria, a disease that kills 2,000 children every night.
The war between north and south Sudan began over opposing politics but has evolved into a battle over diminishing resources. Flooding and deforestation have led to mass displacement and heightened civil conflict.
- NATURAL DISASTER
Impoverished communities that are uneducated on the proper usage of energy and resources limit their potential to rise up out of poverty, and often have greater difficulty recovering from the environmental risks of natural disaster.
Environmental decline in impoverished regions increases the time women and young girls spend collecting water, fuel and other resources, mean- ing females have less time to spend pursuing an education or generating an income.
Poorer nations such as Haiti often misuse resources to survive, relying heavily on their for- ests and charcoal, a method often left unregu- lated by the government.
- PREVENTABLE DISEASE
Environmental factors such as air and water pollution, lack of sanitation and vector-borne illness are responsible for up to 25 percent of the world’s diseases.
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > Former KKK Leader David Duke Qualifies for Televised Senate Debate at Historically Black University
- > OK, This Is Officially the Creepiest Thing You’ll See All Halloween
- > The Studio Behind 'Twilight' Is Making Your High School Dreams Come True
- > Good Grief. Obamacare Premiums Are Going Up by 25 Percent
- > Watch an Iraqi Church Ring Its Bells for the First Time in Years After Town Is Liberated from ISIS