The Cost Of Environmental Neglect
By Reject Apathy
May 10, 2011
"Creation Care" isn't limited only to our environment. The effects of environmental damage are vast and far-reaching, touching everything from disaster recover to under-5 deaths.
- UNDER-5 DEATHS:
Deforestation and poor water management are said to contribute to the spread of malaria, a disease that kills 2,000 children every night.
The war between north and south Sudan began over opposing politics but has evolved into a battle over diminishing resources. Flooding and deforestation have led to mass displacement and heightened civil conflict.
- NATURAL DISASTER
Impoverished communities that are uneducated on the proper usage of energy and resources limit their potential to rise up out of poverty, and often have greater difficulty recovering from the environmental risks of natural disaster.
Environmental decline in impoverished regions increases the time women and young girls spend collecting water, fuel and other resources, mean- ing females have less time to spend pursuing an education or generating an income.
Poorer nations such as Haiti often misuse resources to survive, relying heavily on their for- ests and charcoal, a method often left unregu- lated by the government.
- PREVENTABLE DISEASE
Environmental factors such as air and water pollution, lack of sanitation and vector-borne illness are responsible for up to 25 percent of the world’s diseases.
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > When Risking it All for God Means Staying Where You Are
- > This WWI Christmas Ad Is the Best Commercial You’ll See Today
- > Marcel the Shell's 'Landslide' Cover Will Calm Your Fears
- > Now Steve Carrell’s Upcoming North Korea Movie Has Been Canned
- > The Death Penalty Is in Dramatic Decline in the U.S.
- > Top Theater Chains Cancel Showings of ‘The Interview’ After Hacker Threats
- > Video Shows Just How Much Megatron Hates Selfies