The Cost Of Environmental Neglect
By Reject Apathy
May 10, 2011
"Creation Care" isn't limited only to our environment. The effects of environmental damage are vast and far-reaching, touching everything from disaster recover to under-5 deaths.
- UNDER-5 DEATHS:
Deforestation and poor water management are said to contribute to the spread of malaria, a disease that kills 2,000 children every night.
The war between north and south Sudan began over opposing politics but has evolved into a battle over diminishing resources. Flooding and deforestation have led to mass displacement and heightened civil conflict.
- NATURAL DISASTER
Impoverished communities that are uneducated on the proper usage of energy and resources limit their potential to rise up out of poverty, and often have greater difficulty recovering from the environmental risks of natural disaster.
Environmental decline in impoverished regions increases the time women and young girls spend collecting water, fuel and other resources, mean- ing females have less time to spend pursuing an education or generating an income.
Poorer nations such as Haiti often misuse resources to survive, relying heavily on their for- ests and charcoal, a method often left unregu- lated by the government.
- PREVENTABLE DISEASE
Environmental factors such as air and water pollution, lack of sanitation and vector-borne illness are responsible for up to 25 percent of the world’s diseases.
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Philadelphia Eagles Player Has Baptized 5 of His Teammates
- > 11 Resolutions Everyone Should Consider Making Next Year
- > Oh No. Beard Christmas Lights Are Now a Thing
- > Watch Big Sean Perform His New Faith-Inspired Song ‘Sunday Morning Jetpack’ on 'SNL'
- > Here’s a Brand New Song from Arcade Fire Featuring Mavis Staples
- > Trump Just Led a Standing Ovation for Bill and Hillary Clinton
- > At Least 95 People Have Been Arrested in DC at Anti-Trump Rallies
- > Hillary Clinton Will Attend the Inauguration to 'Honor Democracy'