The Anatomy of Terror
By Reject Apathy
May 10, 2011
There are a lot of stereotypes associated with terrorism. It’s tempting to paint the issue black and white: terrorist and victim. But the truth, as in so many things, is not that simple. Terrorism is its own vicious cycle—and the victims are on both sides. The social, religious and medical implications of living in extreme poverty are largely respon- sible for terrorism in today’s world, and we can do something about it.
Unexpected Factors of Terrorism
Impoverished people, some who live on less than $2 a day, are often vulnerable to seizure or recruitment by terrorist groups that promise to provide social, welfare, cultural and educational services for the community, whether or not they deliver.
- RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE:
Radical religious extremism is the most often portrayed face of terrorism. Poorer communities that lack proper education and are inundated by propaganda have little defense against such theories.
Much terrorist activity is stimulated by the scarcity or misappropriation of natural resources. land, oil, minerals or crops considered to be valuable present a perfect opportunity for terrorist groups to abuse workers, exercise autocratic control and reap the financial benefits.
- HUMAN RIGHTS:
The corrosion of human rights is both a cause and effect of terrorism. Individuals and groups who lack dignity and security are easily manipulated, and their seemingly irreversible status fuels the greed and power of the elite.
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > Here's the Intense Trailer for the New Season of 'Sherlock'
- > Two Earthquakes Rocked Central Italy Within Hours of Each Other
- > 25 Refugees' Bodies Were Found in One Boat in the Mediterranean Sea
- > The Nation Debates: Is This Picture of Bill Murray or Tom Hanks?
- > This ‘Goonies’ Trailer Recut as a Horror Movie Is Terrifying