What Makes Something Fair Trade?
By Reject Apathy
May 10, 2011
It's more than a trend. Here are the methods of the movement.
By now you’re familiar with the concept and the benefits of buying fair trade. With a bit of conscientious consumerism, it’s fairly easy to ensure your purchases support the people and places that need it most and sustain eco-friendly companies. But certifying fair trade products isn’t as simple as slapping on a label. To maintain the integrity of the fair trade market, each of its more than 1.2 million producers and workers are subject to a strict inspection
and certification process.
Depending on the type of business and whether products are being manufactured or sold, different principles and processes apply—and they usually involve a lengthy, specific list. However, some general guidelines do blanket most of the industry. Trade companies must sign contracts with producers to foster long-term relationships, pay a Fairtrade minimum price (the cost of sustainable production) and pay an addi- tional Fairtrade premium (to invest in development). Producer standards vary based on whether employees are contract workers, hired labor or small-scale producers, but all have rights to democratic, equitable treatment.
The big brother of the fair trade industry is FLO-CERT. Their certifiers determine standards and confirm a company’s compliance through on-site audits. A committee then approves or denies a company’s request for certification. Annual reviews and random inspections also preserve the consistency of the fair trade name. Stateside, organizations like TransFair USA work with FLO-CERT to monitor the import, pro- duction and sale of American fair trade. So, go ahead, this time it’s OK to flaunt that label. It’s earned.
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- Al Gore and Donald Trump Met to 'Search for Common Ground' on Climate Issues119
- 7 Things They Don't Tell You About Following Your Dreams36
- Well, There’s Nothing Subtle About These Atheists’ Anti-Church Christmas Billboards230
- Chip Gaines Tells Fans to Show Respect to Buzzfeed Writers Who Wrote About Their Church1,668
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > World Series MVP Ben Zobrist: ‘We All Need Grace. We All Need Christ’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Infidelity Doesn’t Just Happen. It Starts with These Subtle Warnings
- > Amazon’s New Grocery Stores Won’t Have Any Registers, Lines or Checkouts
- > Al Gore and Donald Trump Met to 'Search for Common Ground' on Climate Issues
- > Well, There’s Nothing Subtle About These Atheists’ Anti-Church Christmas Billboards
- > Chip Gaines Tells Fans to Show Respect to Buzzfeed Writers Who Wrote About Their Church
- > The Prime Minister of Japan Is Going to Tour Pearl Harbor With President Obama