This week we talk to controversial author and speaker Rob Bell about his new book, What We Talk About When We Talk About God. (No matter what you think about Rob, it's a surprising interview that deserves a listen.) We also talk to photographer Andy Barron about a life-changing challenge Mark Foster (of Foster the People) put him on, and the crew brings back the glory of their youth by revisiting favorite childhood Christian shows.
A big thanks to the episode's sponsor, Tonx Coffee, an amazing new roaster out of LA. They source beans directly from the growers, roast them, and ship within 24 hours so they're as fresh as can be. For a free sample, check out Tonx.org/RELEVANT.
Listen to the full interview with Rob Bell
Notable Jokes & Runs
0:48 - Maya jokes about the podcast teleporting to another location.
6:46 - A discussion of Rob Bell's glasses, and whether he ever needed them in the first place. Tyler jokes that all his interviews usually end with him getting punched.
14:03 - Maya jokes that Plugged In is going to ask them to stop referencing them.
20:29 - Tyler jokes about the Avengers of childhood Christian entertainment: Psalty, Colby the Computer, and McGee. Cameron talks about being Psalty's son Rhythm in a church play. Chad and Jesse talk about episodes of Colby and McGee and Me that traumatized them as children.
23:44 - The long, epic discussion of McGee and Me continues. They try to entangle their memories of various episodes, and Tyler asks if McGee is the result of the protagonist being on drugs. Tyler compares the show to Freaks and Geeks.
Notable Guest Moments
38:37 - Introduction to Rob Bell.
52:48 - Introduction to Andy Barron.
Other Notable Moments
2:26 - Cameron talks about Chad's vacation and the back-to-back podcast recording, and reveals that the two episodes are out of order. Jokes about callbacks to jokes that haven't happened yet.
14:37 - Cameron talks about Chad's rundown for "Segment 1", the first part of the podcast.
15:18 - Jesse's slice about Careercast.com's list of the top 200 jobs of the year. He argues that the top 50 and bottom 50 should be switched.
19:19 - The first of Maya's two slices: about the Bible miniseries becoming a movie.
27:59 - The second of Maya's two slices: about a date at a beach park in Florida in which the guy carjacks the girl.
44:29 - Relevant Recommends: To The Wonder, NBT.fm, a documentary about the film The Shining.
74:33 - Feedback to Question of the Week: "What was the worst or most ludicrous college course you ever took?"
82:17 Outro: "When I do a podcast, I leave it all on the court." - Jesse
Question of the Week
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > World Series MVP Ben Zobrist: ‘We All Need Grace. We All Need Christ’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > New Research Has Shown Greenland's Ice Sheet Could Melt Faster Than Scientists Thought
- > Some Geniuses Created Water-Powered Speeder Bikes from 'Star Wars'
- > Wesley Snipes Is Writing a Novel About Spiritual Warfare
- > The ‘War for the Planet of the Apes’ Trailer Just Dropped
- > Watch Pharrell and Kim Burrell Perform the Gospel-Anthem ‘I See a Victory’ on ‘The Tonight Show’