This week we talk to President Obama's former "Pastor-in-Chief" and longtime spiritual advisor, Joshua DuBois. DuBois led the White House faith-based initiative during Obama's first term, and has just released his new book, "The President's Devotional." The book provides 365 of the best readings and prayers he sent the President every morning and is full of ways to start each morning with grace and joy. Other topics on this week's show include the absurdity of homestyle restaurants, getting kicked out of the Boy Scouts and evolving the dollar menu, so it's pretty much a classic episode...
A big thanks to our sponsor, Audible.com, the leading provider of premium digital spoken audio information and entertainment on the Internet. They're giving all RELEVANT Podcast listeners a free audiobook! To get yours, click here.
Hear the full interview with Joshua DuBois
Notable Jokes & Runs
2:29 - A discussion of who they'd like to hear read an audio book version of the Bible. Highlights include Jesse and Eddie doing impressions of Ira Glass reading the Bible.
8:26 - Jesse has some things to get off his chest about the family restaurant industry.
13:25 - Discussion of the Dove Awards.
35:09 - Chad suggests a McDonalds grab bag.
57:41 - Eddie tells a funny story about a meal at a Mexican restaurant where he falsely told the waiter it was one of the intern's birthday.
Notable Guest Moments
36:48 - Introduction to Joshua DuBois.
Other Notable Moments
15:33 - Jesse's slice about a family in Leesburg, VA who made an animated light display for Halloween, synchronized to the Ylvis song "The Fox". The group also discusses Halloween decorations of houses they know.
20:39 - Eddie's slice about two Utah men, a Boy Scout leader and his son, who pushed prehistoric boulders off pedestals, then posted the video online. We learn that Eddie considers being kicked out of the Boy Scouts a worse punishment than being sent to prison. Jesse calls Webelos "Weevil Scouts".
29:42 - Tyler's slice about McDonalds getting rid of its Dollar Menu.
51:50 - Feedback to Question of the Week: "What is your idea for a timely social or cultural Halloween costume?"
62:25 Outro: "Your Honor, send me and my son away to prison, ship us away. But whatever you do, please don't let the Boy Scouts eject us." - Jesse
Question of the Week
What is your most awkward restaurant story?
From the single person sitting at the 8-person hibachi table to the massive plate of untouched food at the family-style Italian place, restaurants can be an awkward place. So this week we want to know what is the most awkward thing you've ever seen in a restaurant or the most awkward thing to ever happen to you in a restaurant.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > Donald Glover Is the New Lando Calrissian
- > This Guy Films Himself Singing in the Car, But Ends Up Recording His Own Car Accident
- > China Releases a Christian Pastor Jailed 7 Years for Organizing a Prayer Meeting
- > Watch Jimmy Kimmel Hire Doctor Strange to Do Magic Tricks at a Kids’ Party
- > 72 Sex Slaves Freed in an International FBI Sting Operation