Jonathan Martin & Marnie Stern
This week we talk to author and pastor Jonathan Martin about his new book, Prototype. The book creates a vivid understanding of what it means to be loved by God, and the conversation will leave you wanting to hear more (which you can if you listen to the complete, unedited interview below). We also introduce you to guitar-shredding-indie-rocker Marnie Stern, debate the legitimacy of Kickstarter and give our suggestions for summer movies you HAVE to see (Fast & Furious 6 anyone??)...
A big thanks to the episode's sponsor, Tonx Coffee, an amazing new roaster out of LA. They source beans directly from the growers, roast them, and ship within 24 hours so they're as fresh as can be. For a free sample, check out Tonx.org/RELEVANT.
Listen to the full interview with Jonathan Martin
Notable Jokes & Runs
4:49 - Chad makes a joke that provokes a whole run about him leading a youth ministry. Jesse jokes that his sermons often ended with him yelling at the kids and calling their parents.
52:27 - Cameron talks about the time he was in the Orlando Convention Center lobby, when it was shared by Comic Con people, a highschool cheerleader competition, and a boat show. The group makes plans to create an indie film about that lobby, funded by selling Zach Braff's house.
Notable Guest Moments
36:58 - Introduction to Jonathan Martin.
42:20 - Martin talks about Jesus' identity as a man, and about how he modeled characteristics that would be called both masculine and feminine in Western culture.
65:23 - Introduction to Marnie Stern.
Other Notable Moments
10:15 - Jesse's slice about celebrity Kickstarter campaigns that haven't done so well. A discussion of people who already have money but don't want to use it using Kickstarter to find their projects, and whether or not this new model leaves room for quality projects that aren't well-known enough to succeed through popular funding.
29:03 - Tyler's slice about the top 50 most popular cities in America, ranked by how physically fit they are. A discussion of the hamster maze setup of Minneapolis, and the diets of Vikings and other Scandinavians.
49:39 - Relevant Recommends: Star Trek: Into Darkness.
55:57 - Relevant Recommends resumes after a long digression. Star Trek: Into Darkness, The Fast and the Furious.
73:38 - Feedback to Question of the Week: "If your summer was a movie costarring Susanne Somers, what would the title and tagline be?"
83:11 Outro: "I'll see you at the abandoned show, just past midnight, Jack!" - Jesse
Question of the Week
The crowds of a high school cheerleading competition, comic con and boat show have all converged on a convention center atrium and you're sitting in the middle of it. How would you turn this scenario into a summer blockbuster?
The summer movie season is in full swing and we have another idea we need your help in creating. The crowds of a high school cheerleading competition, comic con and boat show have all converged on a convention center atrium. You're sitting in the middle watching it all go down and have decided to turn what you see into the next summer blockbuster. Give us a title, cast, plot, tagline, poster, Kickstarter prizes, marketing strategy, etc.... You have a blank slate, so go create this movie!
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- Two of the Country's Most Prominent Divinity Schools Instruct Their Faculty to Use Gender-Neutral Pronouns for God1,046
- ‘This Is Us’ Is Coming Back for at Least 2 More Seasons1,880
- This New Video from Disney Pixar Shows How the Movies Are All Connected1,107
- The Secret Service Will Pay a $24 Million Racism Settlement5
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Philadelphia Eagles Player Has Baptized 5 of His Teammates
- > 11 Resolutions Everyone Should Consider Making Next Year
- > Oh No. Beard Christmas Lights Are Now a Thing
- > Two of the Country's Most Prominent Divinity Schools Instruct Their Faculty to Use Gender-Neutral Pronouns for God
- > ‘This Is Us’ Is Coming Back for at Least 2 More Seasons
- > This New Video from Disney Pixar Shows How the Movies Are All Connected
- > Watch Johnnyswim Perform ‘First Try’ on ‘Conan’
- > This Mashup of ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Jackie’ Shows Why Natalie Portman’s Padmé Deserves Her Own Spin-Off