This week, English soul-rockers The Heavy join us to talk about their new album, The Glorious Dead. If the band doesn't sound familiar, you'll know them when you hear their breakout song How You Like Me Now?, which has been featured in numerous movies, commercials and tv shows (check out their epic Letterman performance below). Also this week, we play a fantasy showdown game, Jesse spends a night in Rodanthe, we consider 80's sitcom tattoos and Calvin brings another list.
Notable Jokes & Runs
0:54 - They discuss Calvin's newly-shaved mustache.
2:50 - Jesse talks about his vacation in Rodanthe on the Outer Banks. They joke about him witnessing numerous events from Nicholas Sparks book titles.
38:19 - Fantasy Showdown: a fantasy football game where football meets fantasy literature and implausible '80s sitcoms (and a few Charles Dickens characters thrown in). Tyler vs. Calvin.
Notable Guest Moments
29:22 - Introduction to The Heavy.
Other Notable Moments
11:46 - Tyler Huckabee's first appearance on the podcast.
14:28 - Jesse's slice about gibbons on helium singing like opera singers.
17:12 - Maya's slice is derailed by a discussion about The Neverending Story, and about other childhood entertainment not holding up when re-watched today.
21:42 - Maya's slice about a Swedish woman who got tattoos of scenes from The Neverending Story all over her arms. They discuss what pop culture tattoos they would get.
24:42 - Calvin's slice about a freshman at Yale University making a promise to walk there from Baltimore if he was accepted. A list of top five pickup lines this guy should use.
49:46 - Feedback to Question of the Week: "What did you do this summer?"
53:44 - Cameron talks about a Twitter controversy about the Editorial Question of the Week jingle, and explains the jingle's origin.
55:51 - Discussion of this week's Editorial Question of the Week.
59:16 Outro: "No offense to non-American listeners, but I just want to throw this out there. These colors don't run." - Jesse
Question of the Week
What 80's show or movie would you tattoo on your body...and where would it be?
This week we wisely invested (wasted) nearly an hour looking at ridiculous 80's sitcom/movie tattoos that people have permanently chosen to wear (Never Ending Story sleeves, front-thigh-Golden Girls, etc...). So of course it got us wanting to know what 80's (or childhood) show or movie you would tattoo on your body, and if you did, where you would put it.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > Philadelphia Eagles Player Has Baptized 5 of His Teammates
- > 11 Resolutions Everyone Should Consider Making Next Year
- > Oh No. Beard Christmas Lights Are Now a Thing
- > Last Year Was the Hottest Year on Record ... for the Third Year in a Row
- > Donald Trump Will Be Sworn in Using Abraham Lincoln's Bible (and His Own)
- > Two of the Country's Most Prominent Divinity Schools Instruct Their Faculty to Use Gender-Neutral Pronouns for God
- > ‘This Is Us’ Is Coming Back for at Least 2 More Seasons
- > This New Video from Disney Pixar Shows How the Movies Are All Connected