This week we talk to (controversial) author, pastor and speaker Brian McLaren. His new book about Christian identity in a multi-faith world releases September 11 and you'll definitely want to hear this conversation. Also, we take a behind-the-scenes look at the new issue of RELEVANT featuring politics, Lecrae, The xx and more. Jungle Bird resurfaces, and we break down some of the most overrated artists in modern music.
Brian McLaren: The Full InterviewOur very own Stephanie Smith sits down with Brian McLaren to talk about his new book, "Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road?: Christian Identity in a Multi-Faith World." http://brianmclaren.net/
Notable Jokes & Runs
7:29 - A short discussion of shoulder pads on suits in '80s fashion.
64:40 - Jesse gets nervous about the Jungle Bird interview. They joke that Mark Driscoll and John Piper are going to publically reject him after it airs.
Notable Guest Moments
34:04 - Introduction to Brian McLaren.
Other Notable Moments
1:45 - A short discussion about the Boston Red Sox, Orel Hershiser, and other miscellaneous sports figures and memorabilia.
4:45 - Cameron reveals he doesn't like Bob Dylan. Cameron and Calvin both do impressions of his singing. Jesse makes a case for Dylan's music.
9:44 - More discussion of Bob Dylan, Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead, and other artists the group considers overrated. Chad is not amused. Sufjan Stevens, Tom Waits, Elliot Smith, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, ACDC, etc.
16:48 - Jesse's slice about Jungle Bird's video bomb of the Notre Dame-Navy game. Jesse reveals they might have Jungle Bird on the podcast for an interview.
24:46 - Maya's slice about Hurricane Isaac killing sewer rats.
30:04 - Calvin's slice about a man in California planning to make a water-powered jetpack.
46:08 - Cameron and Tyler talk about the new issue of Relevant. Cameron reveals that McCain and Romney refused an interview with Relevant, though Obama was on board with it. Politics, Lecrae, Andy Sandburg, N.T. Wright, The XX.
58:59 - Feedback to Question of the Week: "What '80s sitcom characters would you get tattooed on your body?"
62:42 - Discussion of this week's Editorial Question of the Week.
67:05 Outro: "His mission is deforestation. Mine is hilarious junk on the Internet." - Jesse
Question of the Week
What question would you like us to ask Jungle Bird?
Earlier this summer, our world (and Bob Costas') was rocked when Jungle Bird made an appearance in the closing moments of the US Open. After going rogue for a few months, Jungle Bird resurfaced last week during the ND / Navy football game when he scored a touchdown and followed it up with an Irish Jig. And now, thanks to the same engine that brought us John Tesh (Twitter), Jungle Bird has expressed interest in appearing on our podcast. Jesse, while incredibly excited, is also extremely nervous at the thought of interviewing one of his role models. So this week we need your help. If we are, in fact, able to land this interview, what question would you like us to ask him? And if you don't have a specific question, let us know your suggestion for where Jungle Bird should appear next.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- Pope: It’s Better to Not Even Believe in God Than to Be a Hypocritical Christian858
- It's Time for the 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit Issue to Stop329
- Netflix Just Announced Tracy Morgan's First Comedy Special Since His Huge Car Wreck30
- Kansas Man Allegedly Yelled ‘Get Out of My Country’ Before Shooting 2 Indian Men, Killing 1643
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > Netflix Is Now Allowing '13th' to Be Screened in Public Even Without a Subscription
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > 11 Resolutions Everyone Should Consider Making Next Year
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Pope: It’s Better to Not Even Believe in God Than to Be a Hypocritical Christian
- > Netflix Just Announced Tracy Morgan's First Comedy Special Since His Huge Car Wreck
- > Kansas Man Allegedly Yelled ‘Get Out of My Country’ Before Shooting 2 Indian Men, Killing 1
- > Migrants Around the World Are Meeting Closed Doors
- > Dan Harmon Will Appear on the Season Finale of Ken Jeong’s ‘Dr. Ken’