Ben Folds Five
This week we talk to the one and only Ben Folds of legendary rock band Ben Folds Five. After an 11-year hiatus, the band is back with a great new record and perspective on music and touring. Also, our longtime British podcast correspondent, Lloyd Kinsley, joins us in-studio for a game of royal proportion. And if that wasn't enough, we get another listener on the phone, break down Arnold Schwarzenegger's career options and develop a new marketing tagline for bolo ties.
Notable Jokes & Runs
7:36 - They make fun of Jesse's only Schwarzenegger phrase, and try to decide what it means. Also, they discuss what Arnold's presidency would look like, and how he would build a bridge over the fiscal cliff.
61:17 - Cameron tells a story about a music teacher wearing a bolo tie. They joke that the perfect ad campaign for bolo ties would be the slogan "YOLO".
Notable Guest Moments
31:42 - Introduction to Ben Folds.
42:25 - Lloyd Kinsley joins the podcast.
44:42 - Jesse's new game, "Her Majesty's Honourable Showcase of Known Knowledge". Trivia about the two nations' royal couples: Kate and William of England, and Kanye and Kim Kardashian. Lloyd plays against Calvin.
65:54 - Cameron introduces the new segment with Carl Noelle, and talks about the blog mention that got his attention.
67:18 - Cameron welcomes listener Carl Noelle, who wrote a blog post about his first listening experiences with the podcast.
Other Notable Moments
12:05 - They make fun of Jesse's "combined slice", and make lots of jokes about Taco Bell and the #YOLO hashtag.
14:19 — Jesse's slice about a swimmer wearing a custom Taco Bell speedo.
15:55 - Jesse's other slice about Denny's new Hobbit movie inspired menu, and a Youtube video review that it inspired.
19:10 - Maya's slice about hedgehog cheerleaders at the Puppy Superbowl.
22:17 - Cameron talks about Calvin's slice that got cut from the previous episode.
24:56 - Calvin's slice about a Florida man who was not allowed to put ketchup on a Philly cheesesteak at Subway. Calvin issues a call out to ketchup (and Ke$ha) to grow up.
59:36 - Feedback to Question of the Week: "What are your New Year's resolutions?"
78:25 Outro: "Get out, you fools, the bridge is out!" - Jesse
Question of the Week
What should we do to improve this podcast?
Over the past 7 years, the RELEVANT Podcast has found a formula that (apparently) works, leading us to (mostly) stick with the same weekly routine. But due to our conversation with podcast listener Karl Noelle (check out his blog post here), we got thinking about what we could do to make this podcast good (or better, if you'd rather us use that word). So let's go. We want to hear your suggestions for how we could improve our podcast.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > Donald Glover Is the New Lando Calrissian
- > This Guy Films Himself Singing in the Car, But Ends Up Recording His Own Car Accident
- > China Releases a Christian Pastor Jailed 7 Years for Organizing a Prayer Meeting
- > Watch Jimmy Kimmel Hire Doctor Strange to Do Magic Tricks at a Kids’ Party
- > 72 Sex Slaves Freed in an International FBI Sting Operation