20 Head-Scratching Christian Phrases We’ve All Heard
January 12, 2016
You've probably heard them: Hedge of protection. Blood of the lamb. Sea of forgetfulness.
Like any other segment of the population, Christians have developed words and phrases unique to church culture.
Though many of these phrases are legitimately challenging—and some are even concepts straight out of Scripture—they often develop into clichés that can be very confusing for those less familiar with churchy language.
After all, most people aren’t fluent in Christianese.
We asked you to share some of the strangest Christian phrases you've heard, and you came up with some true gems. Here are some of our favorites:
Recommended For YouView More in God
- Al Gore and Donald Trump Met to 'Search for Common Ground' on Climate Issues119
- 7 Things They Don't Tell You About Following Your Dreams36
- Well, There’s Nothing Subtle About These Atheists’ Anti-Church Christmas Billboards230
- Chip Gaines Tells Fans to Show Respect to Buzzfeed Writers Who Wrote About Their Church1,666
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > World Series MVP Ben Zobrist: ‘We All Need Grace. We All Need Christ’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Infidelity Doesn’t Just Happen. It Starts with These Subtle Warnings
- > Amazon’s New Grocery Stores Won’t Have Any Registers, Lines or Checkouts
- > Al Gore and Donald Trump Met to 'Search for Common Ground' on Climate Issues
- > Well, There’s Nothing Subtle About These Atheists’ Anti-Church Christmas Billboards
- > Chip Gaines Tells Fans to Show Respect to Buzzfeed Writers Who Wrote About Their Church
- > The Prime Minister of Japan Is Going to Tour Pearl Harbor With President Obama