College Students Increasingly Struggle with Depression
Colleges aren't entirely sure how to deal with the increasing number of students who battle mental illness and request additional allowances and time to finish course work. 11.6 percent of college students were diagnosed or treated for anxiety last year, and 10.7 percent were diagnosed or treated for depression ...
Colleges say they're seeing more students on campus with psychiatricillnesses. About 11.6% of college students were diagnosed or treated for anxiety in the last year, and 10.7% were diagnosed or treated fordepression, according to a survey of more than 100,000 students at 129schools conducted by the American College Health Association. Manymental illnesses, particularly depression, bipolar disorder andschizophrenia, emerge during late adolescence.
Psychiatric disorders like depression and anxiety can have seriousacademic consequences because they affect concentration, sleep andcognitive processing, say mental health professionals.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- Pope: It’s Better to Not Even Believe in God Than to Be a Hypocritical Christian668
- It's Time for the 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit Issue to Stop291
- Netflix Just Announced Tracy Morgan's First Comedy Special Since His Huge Car Wreck28
- Kansas Man Allegedly Yelled ‘Get Out of My Country’ Before Shooting 2 Indian Men, Killing 1555
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > Netflix Is Now Allowing '13th' to Be Screened in Public Even Without a Subscription
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > 11 Resolutions Everyone Should Consider Making Next Year
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Pope: It’s Better to Not Even Believe in God Than to Be a Hypocritical Christian
- > Netflix Just Announced Tracy Morgan's First Comedy Special Since His Huge Car Wreck
- > Kansas Man Allegedly Yelled ‘Get Out of My Country’ Before Shooting 2 Indian Men, Killing 1
- > Migrants Around the World Are Meeting Closed Doors
- > Dan Harmon Will Appear on the Season Finale of Ken Jeong’s ‘Dr. Ken’