I Like Her. She Likes Me. So When Do We Decide to Start Officially Dating?
June 22, 2012
Some people try to come up with guidelines for what dating looks like. While each relationship will be unique, it's worthwhile to have a specific set of conversations before starting to date.
Have you both talked to God? When we look to God for guidance and confirmation, He will provide it—given time and patience. Prayer is a powerful thing, and asking God to guide you both as you consider dating will most likely help you get on the same page about moving forward into a relationship or not.
Have you talked to others? God has put friends, parents and others in our lives to provide insight and wisdom. If you are thinking about a romantic relationship, talk to a friend, ta trusted adult or your parents for advice. All of these people will have your best interests at heart. They might see a positive or negative about your potential relationship that you don't see. Having the blessing and support of those closest to you will help strengthen your relationship?
Have you talked to him/her? Maybe that sounds a little obvious, but it's important. If you aren't on the same page about what you're both looking for, there will be hurt feelings and issues to work through pretty quickly.
Have you talked to yourself? This question has to do with understanding why you want to be in a relationship. If you're not looking to serve and give to other person, it may be a good idea to wait on dating. Love requires sacrifice and unselfishness. It's OK to feel like you might not be able to give to anyone right now. It's also OK to feel like you're mature and ready. Either way, take some time and self-reflect before dating someone.
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > When Risking it All for God Means Staying Where You Are
- > This WWI Christmas Ad Is the Best Commercial You’ll See Today
- > There Are No Words to Describe This ‘Star Wars’ LED Christmas Light Display
- > 54 Nigerian Soldiers Have Been Sentenced to Death for Not Fighting Boko Haram
- > Marcel the Shell's 'Landslide' Cover Will Calm Your Fears
- > Now Steve Carrell’s Upcoming North Korea Movie Has Been Canned
- > The Death Penalty Is in Dramatic Decline in the U.S.