How to Write for RELEVANT
If you are interested in writing for RELEVANT magazine or RELEVANTmagazine.com, you've come to the right place. Before we go any further, below is a video of our founder Cameron Strang telling a bit of our story (watch it to make sure you get what we're about and what we're trying to accomplish):
RELEVANT covers faith, culture and intentional living. Our readership is culturally savvy, mainly Christian twenty- and thirtysomethings who are looking for purpose, depth and spiritual truth. Our mission is to challenge people to go further in their spiritual journey, live selflessly and intentionally, care about positively impacting the world around them, and find the unexpected places God is speaking in life, music and culture.
Please look over our writer's guidelines below. We welcome new writers but obviously prefer to use those with previous journalism/writing experience. Thanks again for your interest. We look forward to working with you.
To pitch a story idea or submit a feature for RELEVANTmagazine.com, contact us here. If the link above doesn't work, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on what we're looking for, read below.
If you are a published journalist inquiring about contributing to the print magazine, contact us here. For more information on what we're looking for, read below.
With a monthly reach of more than 5,000,000 unique visitors and growing, RELEVANT features daily content separate from the print magazine.
•Current is our Op Ed section covering national and global issues, including politics. We want timely, thoughtful commentary on the issues that matter to our audience. 750-1,000 words.
•The God section explores spiritual topics (spiritual disciplines, relationship with God, others and the Church, worship). 750-1,000 words
•Life covers just that: life (relationships, career, finance, travel, psychology and ethics/morality). 750-1,000 words
•Culture talks about what's new and noteworthy in culture—trends, fashion, film, TV, arts and music. Reviews: 600-800 words; features 750-1,000 words.
•Reject Apathy talks about social justice from a whole-life perspective—sustainable change, sacrificial living, spiritual impact. 750-1,000 words.
For pitches, include a summary describing the article idea, an approximate length and date it could be finished.
We prefer submissions as Word attachments. Your name, photo and one- to two-sentence bio should be included with your submission. We don't pay for web articles, but we do include a byline, bio and photo. Articles are automatically archived. Please double-check spelling and grammar before submitting. All articles will be edited for length, grammar, content, style and tone.
RELEVANT magazine (print and iPad edition)
Published bi-monthly, RELEVANT holds the highest standard in editorial quality. What makes RELEVANT unique? The ability to look at life and culture from a God-centered perspective.
If you are a published journalist interested in contributing to the print magazine, please send an email with three samples of your work attached. Please note: We're not interested in first-person voice for the print magazine. If you are not a published journalist, please submit your story ideas for the website, not the print magazine.
• Our faith-focused features fall into three categories: 1) practical or intellectual; 2) a challenging, passion-stirring call for the individual reader to have a deeper relationship with God; or 3) a global perspective or notice of widespread spiritual movements.
• Life features cover a gamut of everyday life issues—career, finances, relationships, health and more—from a God-centered lens. (For example, if we're covering something like investing, we're doing it with the context that money isn't everything; we need to be good stewards with what God's blessed us with.) We can give the same good, journalistic info that another magazine would, but the perspective of our piece is slightly different. That unique worldview must permeate everything we write.
•Culture spotlights, Q&As and features look at and interview the hottest names in culture (music, film, TV, books) with a spiritual angle.
Note: We suggest you check out several issues of RELEVANT in print before submitting an article query. Back issues are available through the RELEVANT Store, or you can buy the current issue at newsstands nationwide. You can also buy the iPad Edition through our app in the iTunes newsstand.
Once a print assignment is made (we assign one month out from the bi-monthly editorial deadline), the article should be emailed by midnight of the deadline given. If the article does not meet the deadline or does not meet editorial standards, we reserve the right to refuse payment. Payment is within 45 days of publication of accepted article. Prices paid vary per assignment. Articles will also appear in a digital edition of the print magazine at our website. This is for promotional purposes, and no additional compensation will be paid.
For print submissions and queries, include a summary describing the article idea, an approximate length and the date it could be finished. Email submissions preferred; please refrain from phone or fax pitches. Please note that all articles will be edited for length, grammar, content, style and tone.
We do our best to respond to all inquiries, but be aware we are sometimes inundated. If you have not heard back from us after 4-6 weeks, please assume we will not be able to use your idea or submission.
EDITORIAL INFORMATION (updated 04/16/15)
Recommended For You
- California Is About to Raise the Legal Age for Smoking and Vaping to 213
- Remembering the Time Woody Allen Debated Billy Graham About God and Sex in Primetime668
- Drake Is Going to Host and Perform as a Musical Guest on May 14’s ‘SNL’56
- The Faith-Shaking Experience of Losing Debates About the Bible295
- > California Is About to Raise the Legal Age for Smoking and Vaping to 21
- > Drake Is Going to Host and Perform as a Musical Guest on May 14’s ‘SNL’
- > Lecrae Talks About His Song 'Deja Vu' on 'Fallon'
- > Enjoy This Dance-Inspired ‘Carpool Karaoke’ Remix
- > Report: Lebron’s ‘Space Jam 2’ Is Finally Happening