God's laws, rules and Jesus' teachings can appear as a type of straight jacket to those who are not followers of Jesus. These rules may even seem to inhibit a person from being themselves, having fun or living life to its fullest. But keeping God's law (doing what the Bible and Jesus said) will allow us to walk in wide places. This can seem contradictory, but as one looks at what the Bible lays out for our lives, we see that it helps us to live a life that is free from the wages of sin.
The supposedly "freeing" lifestyle choices can no longer ensnare or have dominion over us. Talk to a homeless drug addict on the street, and ask if he feels like he has liberty and freedom in life. Speak with a young lady who has to make the decision whether to keep, abort or give up her soon to be daughter because she can't afford to raise a child. Do these situations ring of freedom to you? Charles Spurgeon said about this verse, "The way of holiness is not a track for slaves, but the King's highway for freemen." Jesus said that He came to give us life abundantly. Not a life of rules and restrictions, but a freedom to live as the people we were made to be.
This devotion is adapted from shortdailydevotions.com.Used with permission.
Talk About It
Are you living your life with a false sense of liberty, or in true freedom?
Recommended For You
- > A '20/20' Special Will Look at an American Hostage Captured By ISIS for Her Christian Faith
- > 28 More Companies Sign White House Pledge to Close Gender Wage Gap
- > An Artist Left a Gown in the Dead Sea and It Came Out Even More Beautiful
- > Worldwide Outrage Causes France to Overturn Burkini Ban
- > 2 Mississippi Nuns Found Dead in Their Home, Community Reacts