A Life Of Pure And Holy Sacrifice
September 6, 2002
He who believes in Me . . . out of his heart will flow . . . —John 7:38
Jesus did not say, "He who believes in Me will realize all the blessings of the fullness of God," but, in essence, "He who believes in Me will have everything he receives escape out of him." Our Lord's teaching was always anti-self-realization. His purpose is not the development of a person—His purpose is to make a person exactly like Himself, and the Son of God is characterized by self-expenditure. If we believe in Jesus, it is not what we gain but what He pours through us that really counts. God's purpose is not simply to make us beautiful, plump grapes, but to make us grapes so that He may squeeze the sweetness out of us. Our spiritual life cannot be measured by success as the world measures it, but only by what God pours through us—and we cannot measure that at all.
When Mary of Bethany "broke the flask . . . of very costly oil . . . and poured it on [Jesus'] head," it was an act for which no one else saw any special occasion; in fact, ". . . there were some who . . . said, 'Why was this fragrant oil wasted?' " ( Mark 14:3-4 ). But Jesus commended Mary for her extravagant act of devotion, and said, ". . . wherever this gospel is preached . . . what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her" ( Mark 14:9 ). Our Lord is filled with overflowing joy whenever He sees any of us doing what Mary did—not being bound by a particular set of rules, but being totally surrendered to Him. God poured out the life of His Son "that the world through Him might be saved" ( John 3:17 ). Are we prepared to pour out our lives for Him?
"He who believes in Me . . . out of his heart will flow rivers of living water"—and hundreds of other lives will be continually refreshed. Now is the time for us to break "the flask" of our lives, to stop seeking our own satisfaction, and to pour out our lives before Him. Our Lord is asking who of us will do it for Him?
READ MORE GOD | POST COMMENTS BELOW
Recommended For YouView More in God
- Tim Keller Announced That He Is Stepping Down as Redeemer’s Senior Pastor8
- Pope: It’s Better to Not Even Believe in God Than to Be a Hypocritical Christian1,446
- It's Time for the 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit Issue to Stop630
- Netflix Just Announced Tracy Morgan's First Comedy Special Since His Huge Car Wreck58
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > Netflix Is Now Allowing '13th' to Be Screened in Public Even Without a Subscription
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Royal Caribbean Wants to Hire Someone to Go on Cruises and Post to Instagram
- > Tim Keller Announced That He Is Stepping Down as Redeemer’s Senior Pastor
- > Pope: It’s Better to Not Even Believe in God Than to Be a Hypocritical Christian
- > Netflix Just Announced Tracy Morgan's First Comedy Special Since His Huge Car Wreck
- > Kansas Man Allegedly Yelled ‘Get Out of My Country’ Before Shooting 2 Indian Men, Killing 1
- > Migrants Around the World Are Meeting Closed Doors