A Life Of Pure And Holy Sacrifice
September 6, 2002
He who believes in Me . . . out of his heart will flow . . . —John 7:38
Jesus did not say, "He who believes in Me will realize all the blessings of the fullness of God," but, in essence, "He who believes in Me will have everything he receives escape out of him." Our Lord's teaching was always anti-self-realization. His purpose is not the development of a person—His purpose is to make a person exactly like Himself, and the Son of God is characterized by self-expenditure. If we believe in Jesus, it is not what we gain but what He pours through us that really counts. God's purpose is not simply to make us beautiful, plump grapes, but to make us grapes so that He may squeeze the sweetness out of us. Our spiritual life cannot be measured by success as the world measures it, but only by what God pours through us—and we cannot measure that at all.
When Mary of Bethany "broke the flask . . . of very costly oil . . . and poured it on [Jesus'] head," it was an act for which no one else saw any special occasion; in fact, ". . . there were some who . . . said, 'Why was this fragrant oil wasted?' " ( Mark 14:3-4 ). But Jesus commended Mary for her extravagant act of devotion, and said, ". . . wherever this gospel is preached . . . what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her" ( Mark 14:9 ). Our Lord is filled with overflowing joy whenever He sees any of us doing what Mary did—not being bound by a particular set of rules, but being totally surrendered to Him. God poured out the life of His Son "that the world through Him might be saved" ( John 3:17 ). Are we prepared to pour out our lives for Him?
"He who believes in Me . . . out of his heart will flow rivers of living water"—and hundreds of other lives will be continually refreshed. Now is the time for us to break "the flask" of our lives, to stop seeking our own satisfaction, and to pour out our lives before Him. Our Lord is asking who of us will do it for Him?
READ MORE GOD | POST COMMENTS BELOW
Recommended For YouView More in God
- Mutemath’s Paul Meany Has Released a Remix of 21 Pilots’ ‘Stressed Out’ for a Good Cause1
- Community Paints Over Racist Slurs Left on Neighbors’ Home By Vandals Before Family Returns Home2
- Federal Judge Orders Timetable for Release of 15,000 More Clinton Emails1
- We Should All Go Home From Work Early, Says Science 4
- > Mutemath’s Paul Meany Has Released a Remix of 21 Pilots’ ‘Stressed Out’ for a Good Cause
- > Community Paints Over Racist Slurs Left on Neighbors’ Home By Vandals Before Family Returns Home
- > Federal Judge Orders Timetable for Release of 15,000 More Clinton Emails
- > We Should All Go Home From Work Early, Says Science
- > KFC Has Released Sunscreen That Makes You Smell Like Fried Chicken