12 of DL Moody's Most Profound Quotes About Faith
By Jesse Carey
February 5, 2016
Jesse Carey is an editor at RELEVANT and a mainstay on the weekly RELEVANT Podcast. He lives in Virginia Beach with his wife and two kids.
Even though he was born in 1837, the legacy of preacher D.L. Moody is still felt today. Not only are Moody Publishers and Moody Bible Institute—both of which he founded—still making an impact, but his Bible teachings and writings remain just as applicable today as they were more than a century ago.
Known for his combination of wit and wisdom, Moody could pack big, deep truths into single statements and simple writings. He probably would have been great on Twitter.
On his birthday, here's a look back on 12 D.L. Moody quotes that will provide you with some instant encouragement.
On Seeking God
“Some people think God does not like to be troubled with our constant coming and asking. The way to trouble God is not to come at all."
"We can stand affliction better than we can prosperity, for in prosperity we forget God."
"There are many of us that are willing to do great things for the Lord, but few of us are willing to do little things. "
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter.”
On the Bible
“The object of the Bible is not to tell how good men are, but how bad men can become good.”
“Small numbers make no difference to God. There is nothing small if God is in it.”
“Joy is love exalted; peace is love in repose; long-suffering is love enduring; gentleness is love in society; goodness is love in action; faith is love on the battlefield; meekness is love in school; and temperance is love in training.”
"We talk about heaven being so far away. It is within speaking distance to those who belong there. Heaven is a prepared place for a prepared people."
On God's Promises
"God never made a promise that was too good to be true."
"If I take care of my character, my reputation will take care of me."
On the Bible
"The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible."
“He who kneels the most, stands the best.”
Recommended For YouView More in God
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > ‘To Worship You I Live’ Brought the House Down on ‘The Voice’ Last Night
- > World Series MVP Ben Zobrist: ‘We All Need Grace. We All Need Christ’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Watch the Creator of ‘Super Mario Bros.’ Perform the Theme with the Roots
- > Chris Pratt Says He’d Like to See ‘Parks and Rec’ Back (Possibly as a Movie)
- > Meet the 104-Year-Old Veteran Who’s Been Training for 3 Years to Go Back to Pearl Harbor
- > Here’s the Dark New International Trailer for ‘Rogue One’
- > Tim Tebow Will Play in Mets Spring Training Games