Grieving with Hope
November 4th, 2010
Grieving with Hope
By Alex Miller
"Do you show your wonders to the dead? Do those who are dead rise up and praise you? "Selah" Is your love declared in the grave, your faithfulness in Destruction? Are your wonders known in the place of darkness, or your righteous deeds in the land of oblivion?"
Psalm 88:10-12 NIV
MANY TIMES IN the evangelical community we are taught that grieving is bad. That to hurt is to not trust completely.
It is OK for me to hurt and to hurt terribly bad. To cry out. To put God in the dock. To accuse Him. However, it is foolish for me to do so without hope. In a way, I can understand the psalmist's sentiments. Anger at God. Weakness. A desire to give up. These texts are seemingly hopeless in the context in which they are written. But there is hope.
Who is the One who has ever truly endured darkness (Psalm 39:13)? Who is the One who has worked wonders from the dead (Psalm 88:10)? Who has departed, and still has risen to praise Him (Psalm 88:10)?
Though hopeless in their context, in the greater context of Jesus, these verses are full of hope. Jesus conquered death. Jesus suffered the true darkness so that I can endure my momentary darkness. Jesus rose from the dead so that while I am dying now, I can fix my eyes on Him.
When you are faced with grief or despair, how are you reminded of hope? Do you feel comfortable enough to share your grief with God?
adapted from an rticle on RELEVANTmagazine.com.
Recommended For You
- > Being a Christian Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Should
- > ISIS' New Enemy: A Terrifying Dutch Biker Gang
- > An Artist Is Inserting Mr. Bean into Famous Paintings For Some Reason
- > 15 Things to Start Doing By the Time You’re 30
- > Shia LaBeouf On Becoming a Christian: 'It's a Real Thing That Really Saved Me.'
- > Here's Your First Look at 'Pan'
- > The Internet Is Loving Odell Beckham's Amazing Catch
- > Superhero-Loving Girl Is Not Impressed with Store’s Ad about ‘Gifts for Boys’
- > NFL Star Gets Emotional After Scoring Touchdown for Daughter Born Hours Before
- > Report: Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel Has Been Asked to Resign