The Word Was God
September 14th, 2010
The Word Was God
By Steph Gehring
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all people. "
John 1:1-4 TNIV
MOST WORDS SEEM much too small to come alive. If a word were to come alive, it would have to be much more than a dictionary word. It would have to be a big word, a central word. And it is in this passage; it's not just any word—it's the Word. In Greek, John's term is logos. Logos translates as "word," but it means more than that: the logos of something is its central organizing principle, the source of its living internal structure.
Which is what Christ is to us. He is our ancient source, the One who was and is forever, whose ancientness is not dusty but throbbing with the glad power that first called us out of nothingness into life and is, even now, calling us to live completely. He is the One in whom all things become whole. Truth is no longer theoretical and distant; Truth is a Someone, suddenly, not just a something. J
God breathes into us through the Bible. There are a thousand good reasons for reading the Bible, but this is the most important: God is in it.
Do you view your time spent reading the Bible as separate from your time with God, or as a living part of your conversation with Him?
devotion is adapted from an article in RELEVANT
your own copy.
Recommended For You
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > Netflix Is Now Allowing '13th' to Be Screened in Public Even Without a Subscription
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Royal Caribbean Wants to Hire Someone to Go on Cruises and Post to Instagram
- > This Year's Oscars Broke Records for the Number of Black Winners
- > Survey: Teens in America Are Just As Cynical About Politics As Their Parents
- > You Can Relive Last Night’s Super Awkward Oscar Mistake
- > Here’s the Brand New Trailer for ‘Cars 3’
- > Tim Keller Announced That He Is Stepping Down as Redeemer’s Senior Pastor