October 5, 2012
With all the books, shows, movies and albums that come out every week, it can be hard to choose what's worth checking out and what's, well, not. At least, it used to be hard. But with RELEVANT Recommends, things are much easier. We give you a list of five things you should be watching, reading or listening to this week.
- Transcendental Youth, Mountain Goats: You've read our review (haven't you?) so what are you waiting for? Mountain Goats' dependable blend of gorgeous songs telling you sad stories will haunt your eardrums long after you turn it off.
2. Frankenweenie: Tim Burton is back to form (in more ways than one) with this, his feature-length adaptation of an early short film of his about a boy who revives his deceased dog. The claymation is gorgeously detailed, and the characters have more life and pep than almost anything else in theaters right now.
3. America Again: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't, Stephen Colbert: Colbert's had quite a year with his game changing SuperPAC, his fake(?) presidential run and a television show that remains blisteringly sharp and refreshingly transcendant of the partisanship that clouds other satire of his ilk. Add to that a side-splitting new book about restoring America to her former glory, and you can chalk up 2012 as big win for Colbert's campaign for truthiness.
- The Vice Presidential Debates: Nothing on television this week will be fraught with as much drama or higher stakes than Vice President Joe Biden and Representative Paul Ryan's debate at Centre College in Kentucky on October 11. Early word is that Medicare will be the topic of choice for both candidates.
5. Nashville: Wednesday night marks the debut of ABC's big fall premiere, Nashville, which follows the career of two country music stars pitted against each other for domination of the charts. The early buzz is that this is ABC's best show in years, and the cast is anchored by universally beloved Connie Britton, who's most famous as the moral anchor of Dillon, Texas in Friday Night Lights. You won't want to miss this one.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > Netflix Is Now Allowing '13th' to Be Screened in Public Even Without a Subscription
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > 11 Resolutions Everyone Should Consider Making Next Year
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > ISIS Promises to Keep Attacking Egypt's Coptic Christians in a New Video
- > Here’s a Really Emotional New Clip From ‘The Shack’
- > Meet the Cast of the New Han Solo Movie
- > Meet East Stratcom, the Tech Squad Fighting Fake News in Europe
- > At Least 74 African Migrants Washed Up on the Shores of Libya