August 24, 2012
With all the books, shows, movies and albums that come out every week, it can be hard to choose what's worth checking out and what's, well, not. At least, it used to be hard. But with RELEVANT Recommends, things are much easier. We give you a list of five things you should be watching, reading or listening to this week.
1. Telegraph Avenue, Michael Chabon: As per usual, Chabon's roller coaster plot lines defy summary, spiraling through a wild mix of characters and their madcap adventures. What is less hard to quantify is Chabron's prose, which remains one of the great wonders of these modern times.
2. Sleepwalk With Me: Comedian Mike Birbiglia's debut directorial effort takes his now famous This American Life monologue about the perils of sleepwalking and turns it into a sweetly endearing, laugh-out-loud exploration of romance, comedy and calling. This is what indie-comedy is supposed to be.3. Grace Alone, Modern Post: There are few career arcs as curious as that of Dustin Kensrue, the former Thrice-frontman turned rootsy solo artist who is now heading up the rock-worship act, Modern Post. His new act is a gem, an aggressively Cure-esque take on original songs and some old worship favorites.
4. Premium Rush: Otherwise known as "the Joseph Gordon-Levitt bike movie," Premium Rush is better than you might think; a deliriously fun surge of pure adrenaline to cap off the summer movie season that will have you riding your fixie home from the theater faster than you should.
5. Copper: BBC America's foray into the best night of U.S. television is a gritty take on the police force of early America. Think Gangs of New York meets CSI. It's a bold move, setting it toe-to-toe with Breaking Bad and The Newsroom, but with the rickety quirkiness that is the BBC's trademark blended with the rough-and-tumble gruffness of Civil War-era New York, and a plot-line centering around Irish-American cop Kevin "Corky" Corcoran's attempts to rescue a ten-year-old from a brothel, it's ready-made for America's love of television shows about moral grimness.
Recommended For You
- > 'Independence Day 2' Is Real and It Is Happening
- > Here's a Beautiful Song From Joy Williams and Hayley Williams
- > Darren Wilson Tells ABC News ‘I Did My Job Right’
- > HBO Hired a Ton of Lawyers to Look at Its New Scientology Documentary
- > A Young Chris Pratt Actually Predicted that He Would One Day Star in ‘Jurassic World’