July 21, 2012
With all the books, shows, movies and albums that come out every week, it can be hard to choose what's worth checking out and what's, well, not. At least, it used to be hard. But with RELEVANT Recommends, things are much easier. We give you a list of five things you should be watching, reading or listening to this week.
- This Bright River, by Patrick Somerville
A cracking good pot-boiler that also veers into philosophical, metaphysical musing, Somerville's story of a man's downward spiral into family secrets will defy you to sleep before you've finished it.
2. The Queen of Versailles
A jaw-dropping, outrageous, half-hysterical, half-pitiful documentary on how one billionaire family has and has not come to terms with the economic crisis and their own vacuousness.
- Shut Up and Play the Hits
LCD Soundsystem was a remarkable feat. James Murphy constructed his band in the manner of a good BBC series, with a clear and focused arc, and a long-planned final act. That final act is Shut Up and Play the Hits, a documentary of the band's final concert at a sold out Madison Square Gardens, and the 48 hours on either side of it. It blew Sundance away, and it's playing in select cities this Wednesday.
4. Broken Brights by Angus Stone
Get roped by their lush, folksy melodies—and keep coming back for their haunting, off-kilter harmonies.
Talk About It
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Here’s the ‘Full House/Avengers’ Mash-up You’ve Been Waiting For
- > New Short Film Looks Back at the First 10 Years of charity: water
- > Gene Wilder Died Today
- > The Pope Met with Mark Zuckerberg to Learn How to Bring ‘a Message of Hope’ to those in Need
- > ISIS Claims Suicide Attack in Yemen That Killed At Least 54