June 29, 2012
Every week, we put together a list of five things we've come across that you should be watching, reading, or listening to from this week.
- Moonrise Kingdom : Wes Anderson's funny, sad, whimsical look at childhood love and adult ennui is getting the wide release it's deserved all along. Take advantage of it.
Dave Eggers' <em>A Hologram For the King: Eggers, who cut his teeth on the wild, robust memoir A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, here dials it back to a much more somber, measured look at a businessman coming to terms with his own lack of passion. The result is a narrative that's sad, patient and engrossing.
The Idler Wheel Is Wiser than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More than Ropes Will Ever Do - Fiona Apple: Like her ever-indulgent album titles, Fiona Apple's music is not easy to take in all at once. However, those with the patience to listen to her work will recognize her as one of her generation's finest musicians. And The Idler Wheel... is among her best.
Beasts of the Southern Wild: It dazzled Sundance and wowed Cannes. Now Benh Zeitlin's transcendant chronicle of a young girl struggling to fit her vast imagination into the reality of her tragedy-struck world is going to make its mark on audiences. You've never seen anything like it.
- The Newsroom: Aaron Sorkin's new HBO television drama is getting criticized for having too much incisive, over-the-top office banter, which is like criticizing Led Zeppelin for being too loud. The Newsroom is a whip-smart examination of the trials of the twenty-first century news media from the maker of The West Wing. If that doesn't interest you, we can't help you.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Here’s the ‘Full House/Avengers’ Mash-up You’ve Been Waiting For
- > New Short Film Looks Back at the First 10 Years of charity: water
- > Gene Wilder Died Today
- > The Pope Met with Mark Zuckerberg to Learn How to Bring ‘a Message of Hope’ to those in Need
- > ISIS Claims Suicide Attack in Yemen That Killed At Least 54