Pope Benedict Unexpectedly Resigns
In a shocking announcement that surprised even his closest aids,
Pope Benedict released a statement notifying the Roman Catholic Church that he will be stepping down on Feb. 28, telling followers that he no longer has the mental and physical strength required of the position. The 85-year-old said that “strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.” The resignation of a Pope is almost unprecedented—the last one to do so was in the year 1415. The Vatican could hold a conclave to elect a new Pope as soon as mid-March …
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Diplomats Working Toward Temporary Cease-Fire in Syria
- > Here's the First Trailer for Cameron Crowe's Showtime Show 'Roadies'
- > Two Teens in Arizona Were Killed in (Yet Another) School Shooting
- > Jimmy Fallon Interviews Peyton Manning...Or Is It?
- > A 10-Year ‘Friday Night Lights’ Reunion Is in the Works