Pope Benedict Unexpectedly Resigns
In a shocking announcement that surprised even his closest aids,
Pope Benedict released a statement notifying the Roman Catholic Church that he will be stepping down on Feb. 28, telling followers that he no longer has the mental and physical strength required of the position. The 85-year-old said that “strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.” The resignation of a Pope is almost unprecedented—the last one to do so was in the year 1415. The Vatican could hold a conclave to elect a new Pope as soon as mid-March …
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > Philip Roth Just Gave 4,000 Books to His Hometown Library
- > Chip and Joanna Gaine's Breakfast Place Might Be Worth the Road Trip
- > SNL's Pete Davidson: 'I Would've Killed Myself If I Didn't Have Kid Cudi'
- > Check Out the New Teaser for '24: Legacy'
- > This Historic Church Building Is Seriously Being Destroyed by Urine