The UK's First Atheist Church Is Open for Business
Pippa Evans and Sanderson Jones—two British comedians—have opened the Sunday Assembly, which is calling itself the first atheist church in the U.K. "We thought it would be a shame not to enjoy the good stuff about religion, like the sense of community, just because of a theological disagreement," says Mr. Jones, who once sold out a show the Sydney Opera House by selling all his tickets by hand, which is pretty impressive. Referring to the difference between atheism and religion as "a theological disagreement" is sort of like saying the difference between The Berenstain Bears and The Brothers Karamazov is a matter of "length," but Jones is hoping that his atheist church will provide skeptics with a regular sense of community. As he told the Islington Gazette, "We just want people to feel encouraged and excited when they leave" ...
Recommended For You
- > Ridley Scott Responds to the ‘Exodus’ Casting Controversy
- > André 3000 May Retire From Hip-Hop Next Year
- > ISIS Has Beheaded Another American Journalist
- > Sneezy the Squirrel Vying for Mascot Status at Penn State
- > Members of Bon Iver, The Strokes, and Arcade Fire Will Play in an Epic Charity Basketball Game