What's in a Name?
Our identity is something that we want to discover and maintain. We write books on the topics of searching for significance and finding our life's purpose, but perhaps we have missed it. Maybe God doesn't want us to search this world for meaning and purpose. Could it be that God wants us to find those things in Him?
God has quite literally stolen our identity. To steal means to take something with no intention of returning it. That is exactly what we asked Him to do when we accepted Him and chose to follow Jesus. The sin that was bored into our soul was replaced by the law of God, written onto each of our hearts. That same name was a refuge to an army of Israel, it defeated a giant, rescued God's people from Egypt and the name was nailed to a cross for my sin and yours.
That name is etched into our hearts. God has stolen our identity. We are representatives of the most powerful name in the universe. That is the name I call upon when I am weak. That is the name that has redeemed my soul and cleansed me. That name is everything.
This devotion is adapted from an article on RELEVANTmagazine.com.
Talk About It
How can surrendering your identity to Christ's empower you to find an even greater sense of personal identity?
Recommended For You
- > Michael Jordan Speaks Out Against Police Brutality and Violence Against Police
- > At Least 80 People Were Killed By ISIS Suicide Attacks in Kabul on Saturday
- > The ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ Reboot Is Headed to Netflix
- > Host of ‘The Preachers’ Says He Was Joking After He Seemed to Endorse Open Marriages
- > This ‘Legends of the Hidden Temple’ Movie Looks Super Lame