November 10, 2010
It’s inevitable: You’re going to get tired of the cafeteria food that seemed so promising at freshmen orientation. But before you turn to another round of late-night, half-price appetizers, consider that your mini-fridge and microwave still have more to offer. Here are some simple recipes for dorm room dining.
Microwave Omelette—For the early riser
Spray a small glass custard cup with olive oil spray.
Break and beat one egg into cup.
Mix in 1 tbsp water.
Choose your veggies, meat or other ingredients.
Mix about 1/2 tbsp of each into cup.
Mix in 1/8 cup shredded cheese.
Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
Carefully remove and invert cup onto plate.
Macaroni Pasta Salad—Put some summer in your semester
Prepare a couple packets of microwaveable macaroni, without adding cheese.
Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing and 2 tbsp mustard.
Other ingredients could include olives, celery, pickles, onions, peppers or tomatoes. Add about 1/3 cup each and mix well.
Add salt and pepper.
Microwave Lasagna—Roommate brownie points. But no brownies.
Combine 1/2 lb ground beef and 1 minced garlic clove in a 2-quart dish.
Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring 2 times during cooking.
Drain meat. Blend in 1 1/2 cups water, 6 oz canned tomato paste, 8 oz canned tomato sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp oregano, 1/2 tbsp basil.
Microwave on high for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Layer meat, 1/2 lb of precooked lasagna noodles, 1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 lb cottage cheese in a 2-quart dish. Repeat layers, ending with meat.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
Cook on full power 12-14 minutes.
Puppy Chow—Keep in small bags or containers for easy snacking
Combine 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup butter and 1 cup chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave for 1 minute, then stir well.
Put 9 cups of Chex cereal in a large plastic bag.
Pour the peanut butter-chocolate mixture over the cereal. Close bag and shake thoroughly.
Add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar to bag. Close and shake bag again until mix is coated evenly.
Recommended For YouView More in RELEVANT U
- > The Real Abuse at the Heart of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- > Why Don’t the Guys in my Church Ask Women on Dates?
- > 'Christian Cleavage' Probably Isn't the Problem
- > Report: ISIS Just Kidnapped a Group of at Least 90 Christians, Including Children
- > Chris Pratt and Chris Evans Made Good on Their Super Bowl Bet
- > RIP, Jared Leto's Long Hair. You Were Too Beautiful For This World.
- > Outrageous: Man Burned By Fajitas While Praying Can't Sue Applebee's
- > U.S. Concerned about North Korean Nukes
- > Milk that Tastes Like Peeps Is the Ultimate Easter Beverage
- > The Smithsonian and Stan Lee Are Offering an Online Superhero Course