It’s inevitable: You’re going to get tired of the cafeteria food that seemed so promising at freshmen orientation. But before you turn to another round of late-night, half-price appetizers, consider that your mini-fridge and microwave still have more to offer. Here are some simple recipes for dorm room dining.
Microwave Omelette—For the early riser
Spray a small glass custard cup with olive oil spray.
Break and beat one egg into cup.
Mix in 1 tbsp water.
Choose your veggies, meat or other ingredients.
Mix about 1/2 tbsp of each into cup.
Mix in 1/8 cup shredded cheese.
Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
Carefully remove and invert cup onto plate.
Macaroni Pasta Salad—Put some summer in your semester
Prepare a couple packets of microwaveable macaroni, without adding cheese.
Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing and 2 tbsp mustard.
Other ingredients could include olives, celery, pickles, onions, peppers or tomatoes. Add about 1/3 cup each and mix well.
Add salt and pepper.
Microwave Lasagna—Roommate brownie points. But no brownies.
Combine 1/2 lb ground beef and 1 minced garlic clove in a 2-quart dish.
Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring 2 times during cooking.
Drain meat. Blend in 1 1/2 cups water, 6 oz canned tomato paste, 8 oz canned tomato sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp oregano, 1/2 tbsp basil.
Microwave on high for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Layer meat, 1/2 lb of precooked lasagna noodles, 1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 lb cottage cheese in a 2-quart dish. Repeat layers, ending with meat.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
Cook on full power 12-14 minutes.
Puppy Chow—Keep in small bags or containers for easy snacking
Combine 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup butter and 1 cup chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave for 1 minute, then stir well.
Put 9 cups of Chex cereal in a large plastic bag.
Pour the peanut butter-chocolate mixture over the cereal. Close bag and shake thoroughly.
Add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar to bag. Close and shake bag again until mix is coated evenly.
Recommended For YouView More in RELEVANT U
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > Watch Jimmy Kimmel Hire Doctor Strange to Do Magic Tricks at a Kids’ Party
- > 72 Sex Slaves Freed in an International FBI Sting Operation
- > Hilary Swank Was Offered a Role for 5% of What Her Male Co-Star Would Earn
- > This Town in Australia Wants to Be the World's First Porn-Free City
- > This Awesome Dad Turned His Son’s Wheelchair Into the 'Ghostbusters' Ecto-1: