Making the Most of Your Sabbath
December 19, 2011
Spiritual discipline requires intentionality even before you add an intense degree program into the mix. And yet, “remembering the Sabbath” has never been more important. Plan ahead to preserve time off, and how you’ll use these precious hours. Here are a few of our suggestions:
Take a day trip by yourself
Every now and then, you may want to sabbath in solitude. Head to the beach, drive out of the city or plan an easy hike. Getting out and getting alone with God are guaranteed head-clearers. Just be sure to bring your journal.
Practice what you are learning
If you’re in seminary, you are most likely learning a lot about spiritual disciplines, doctrine and traditions you haven’t experienced firsthand. Put justice into action at a homeless shelter, try contemplative prayer practices during your down time or explore Scriptures outside of your curriculum.
Fast and feast in community
Gather family and friends to spend the day together fasting the first two meals. Push past the small talk to catch up and pray for any needs. Then, prepare a fresh meal together for dinner and allow time to linger around the table.
Unplug from the extras
Commit 24 hours to a technological detox—no emails, no phone calls, no social networking. Take care of any business the night before, and don’t be afraid to let people know you are observing a sabbath. It’ll relieve the pressure of wondering who is trying to reach you.
Recommended For YouView More in Life
- > People Claim to Have Seen a Mysterious Movie That Never Existed
- > Netflix Is Now Allowing '13th' to Be Screened in Public Even Without a Subscription
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Royal Caribbean Wants to Hire Someone to Go on Cruises and Post to Instagram
- > Watch Carl Lentz Preach a Mini-Sermon on ‘The Dr. Oz Show'
- > Here’s What Saved Kirk Franklin’s Marriage
- > This Year's Oscars Broke Records for the Number of Black Winners
- > Survey: Teens in America Are Just As Cynical About Politics As Their Parents
- > You Can Relive Last Night’s Super Awkward Oscar Mistake