5 Keys for the Perfect Presentation
You’ll give a lot of presentations in grad school, so you need to be prepared. As far as we know, there is no immediate solution for blushing during a speech. But as for the rest of your presentation, success is within your control.
Make the most of prep time
There is no such thing as being “over-prepared.” Show up early to set up the room and rehearse in the classroom environment. Don’t wait until the morning of to select and iron an outfit. Practice in front of people who will tell you like it is. The more you have nailed down ahead of time, the less you’ll have to be nervous about in the moment.
Don’t end with a Q&A
It’s alright to open up the floor. But as the speaker, you should always have the last word. After responding to any thoughts from the audience, be sure to offer a solid conclusion that summarizes your main points, rather than awkwardly wrapping up when the questions die out.
Keep your purpose in mind
Are you simply describing a theory—or are you trying to convince an audience of its validity? Don’t just present information; prove a point.
Less is more
Don’t abuse the time and attention of your listeners with information overload. Put the focus on your main points, and keep the rest of your speech brief and easy to digest. For each sentence, ask yourself, “How does this serve the purpose of my presentation?” If it doesn’t, throw it out.
Know your audience
Are you presenting to peers, strangers or superiors? Put careful thought into what they may already know about your subject, what they expect from you and what would motivate their response. Engaging, connecting with and persuading your audience is easier when you’ve tailored your speech to their position in life.
Source: “7 Mistakes Even Smart Presenters Make” by Gina DeLapa, Maestro Consulting Group. Excerpted with permission.
Recommended For YouView More in RELEVANT U
- > 7 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe
- > Watch ‘Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines' Powerful Testimony on ‘I Am Second’
- > 12 Fiction Books That Will Shape Your Theology
- > Hillsong NYC’s Carl Lentz: At This Church, We Are Not Saying 'All Lives Matter'
- > Watch Justin Bieber Play ‘I Could Sing of Your Love Forever’ on the Purpose Tour
- > Donald Glover Is the New Lando Calrissian
- > This Guy Films Himself Singing in the Car, But Ends Up Recording His Own Car Accident
- > China Releases a Christian Pastor Jailed 7 Years for Organizing a Prayer Meeting
- > Watch Jimmy Kimmel Hire Doctor Strange to Do Magic Tricks at a Kids’ Party
- > 72 Sex Slaves Freed in an International FBI Sting Operation